Putnam County is in the Classroom
K-12 Education Facts
Putnam County is primed for growth, our community loves to work and learn. Putnam County prepares students for the next chapter.
Putnam Career & Technical Center was named a SkillsUSA National Model of Excellence. PCTC placed 3rd in the country for this achievement.
- PCS (Putnam County Schools) employs over 1,200 individuals dedicated to student support and achievement.
- PCS is one of the only school districts in the state to require all full-time educators to possess a professional
- PCS is proud to be the current home of 47 National Board Certified Teachers.
PCS is proud to rank among the top districts in the state for professional and service employee salary schedules according to the West Virginia Department of Education:
- Starting salaries for teachers
(#3 in WV)
- Average salaries for teachers
(#2 in WV)
- Average salaries for service
employees (#5 in WV)
Putnam County is home to several private K-12 schools.
Putnam County high schools and the Putnam Career & Technical Center offer dual credit programming, making it easy for students to earn college credit while still in high school.
PCS is home to over 9,000 students and 23 schools comprised of 14 elementary schools, four middle and high schools, and one Career & Technical Center. The 23 schools within the PCS district include the following prestigious titles and school acknowledgments:
- Five National Blue-Ribbon Schools
- 16 West Virginia Schools of Excellence
- A National Title I Distinguished School
- A Premier Career & Technical Center
- A WV Model Site for Simulated Workplace
- Putnam County students are National Merit Scholarship finalists
Rock Branch Elementary (RBE) was named one of three National Blue Ribbon Schools in the state by the U.S. Department of Education (2021). RBE is the fifth school within the district to receive this prestigious national honor.
All Putnam County elementary schools participate in the Leader In Me (LIM) program based on the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. PCS is home to two LIM Lighthouse Schools: Hurricane Town Elementary (WV’s first LIM Lighthouse School) and Winfield Elementary.
Higher Education Facts
Putnam County sits between Charleston and Huntington, a convenient drive to BridgeValley Community and Technical College or Mountwest Community and Technical College. Marshall University is a short drive away, in Huntington, WV.
- Our community colleges offer a multitude of career training certificates, associate degree programs, and customized workforce training options.
WV Promise Scholarship: The Promise Scholarship is a merit-based financial aid program for West Virginia high school graduates planning to attend one of the state’s public or independent two- or four-year institutions.
West Virginia Invests: A last dollar in financial aid program. Created for students in specific in-demand fields. The West Virginia Invests program pays for a range of educational expenses, including tuition, mandatory fees, and academic program fees.
35% of Putnam County residents have an Associate’s degree or higher.
Higher Education Close to Home
Have questions about Putnam County? We’re here to help.
What would you like to know about Putnam County, West Virginia? Have a specific site need? Want to speak with the corporate leaders who do business here? Need to know more about local housing options? We’re here to help. Whatever you would like to know about Putnam County or any connections you’re interested in making, turn to our team. We’ll respond quickly!
Find out more about Putnam County
971 WV-34, Hurricane, WV